Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Insects that are a boon to gardeners.‘daisies that are highly attractive to five key kinds of beneficials (ladybugs, lacewings, hover flies, tachinid flies, and miniwasps)’
- ‘Most beneficials will eat many different kinds of insects, but eating a few isn't control.’
- ‘But what if you don't have access to these beneficials?’
- ‘But natural gardeners welcome such beneficials as ladybugs, lacewings and syrphids in their garden because they love to feast on aphids.’
- ‘There are insecticides that will help, but use of these will destroy beneficials, and many people don't like to eat fruit that has been treated.’
- ‘These will encourage bees and other beneficials to visit, plus they're beautiful to have in your garden.’
- ‘Farmers make frequent releases of small numbers of these beneficial wasps to augment their existing populations of beneficials.’
- ‘But they, too, may harm certain beneficials, so read product labels carefully.’
- ‘The Putah Creek riparian area that borders the farm is a mixed blessing because it holds both beneficials like carabid beetles and lacewings, as well as the animals that raid the farm.’
- ‘This is easily solved by introducing ladybugs or other beneficials as necessary.’
- ‘Her dissertation research focused on the use of wild and weed plant species as trap crops and as habitat for beneficials.’
- ‘Any general use pesticide will kill insects indiscriminately, pests and beneficials alike.’
- ‘Some local nurseries carry beneficials; ask your nurseryman about availability.’
- ‘Also, when the poultry house is cleaned out, leave areas of old dry manure to provide a reservoir of beneficials to repopulate the house as new flies occur.’
- ‘Any marauding bugs escaping the birds and beneficials can be controlled with horticultural oil or insecticidal soap.’
- ‘Many insects found on landscape plants are transients or beneficials, part of the natural community that helps keep pest species at low levels.’
- ‘But to enlist their help, be careful with pesticide use because many controls kill beneficials as well as unwanted insects.’
- ‘Utilizing beneficials has proven to be the overall most effective way to eliminate insect and mite problems in my rose garden.’
- ‘They bring in beneficials - ladybugs, lacewings and praying mantises - to help eliminate unwanted pests.’
- ‘‘That kind of runs counter to organic thinking, where you're trying to minimize impact on beneficials,’ Jantzi observes.’
- ‘The chemicals normally used to preserve fruit on its way to market have been found to kill such beneficials.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.