1A highway encircling an urban area.
- ‘The connector is one of three projects that form the $900 million, 30-mile beltway, which will connect with the expressway in the mid-Mon Valley.’
- ‘Meanwhile, real farmers fight against a massive outer beltway that would still more suburban sprawl.’
- ‘In another instance, a Minneapolis suburb condemned a stretch along the metropolitan area's major beltway to serve as the new headquarters for Best Buy Company.’
- ‘This metro area has a two-lane beltway in some areas, and I think this year they're repairing the shoulders, or perhaps widening the median.’
- ‘Bill drove a little bit north to access the Perimeter Highway, I - 285, which is Atlanta's beltway.’
- ‘Industrial and warehousing developments are focused on the southern side of the metropolitan area, again trailing the outer beltway.’
- ‘The department is developing the Interstate 295 - Florida 9A beltway loop around Jacksonville, connecting to Interstate 95 on the north and south.’
- 1.1[often as modifier] Washington, DC, especially as representing the perceived insularity of the US government.‘conventional beltway wisdom’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.