One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal belonging to a variety of the Galloway breed of cattle, black with a broad white band around the middle.See Galloway
- ‘Apart from the unique attractiveness derived from the coat colours, the Belted Galloway has the valuable qualities of carcass type, hardiness and fertility for which Galloways are renowned.’
- ‘Leeds City Council has a breeding herd of 14 black and white belted galloways which can often be seen in the ring at the major shows.’
- ‘Although the galloway does come in solid colours, the belted galloway is more striking with a white belt stretching right around its middle.’
- ‘The distinctive white belt found in Belted Galloways often varies somewhat in width and regularity but usually covers most of the body from the shoulders to the hooks.’
- ‘In fact, crossing any other breed with the Belted Galloway is a good way to make sure the offspring don't have horns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.