One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attendant in a hotel who performs services such as carrying guests' luggage.
- ‘This includes approximately 75,000 workers who serve the rich and very rich in such jobs as limousine drivers, nannies, housekeepers, waiters and bellhops.’
- ‘Tips are common only in certain job sectors- those involving personal services, with hairdressers, food servers, taxi drivers, hotel bellhops, and tourist guides being the most striking examples.’
- ‘A bellhop will be along shortly to carry your bags up.’
- ‘I heard Matt shout as I followed the bellhop across the lobby.’
- ‘We've heard a lot about the bellboy, the bellhop that this alleged victim made her immediate outcry to.’
- ‘It was a massive stone building, a good twenty-five stories, columns marking the sides of the entrance where four massive wooden doors stood, marked by bellhops and valet parking signs.’
- ‘It's how waiters, bellhops, and street performers have always made a living - a system that encourages good service.’
- ‘I'll have the bellhop load these into the carriage.’
- ‘‘Right away, sir,’ he said more enthusiastically, buzzing for a bellhop to carry their bags and lead them to their room.’
- ‘Others found employment in hotel service jobs, working as dishwashers, bellhops, and elevator operators.’
- ‘‘We have been saving for a long time you know,’ Rachel answered as they stepped in the lobby behind the bellhop.’
- ‘The bellhop led them to their rooms, pushing their luggage on the way and carried it into the separate rooms, 412 for the girls and 413 for the boys.’
- ‘He thanked the bellhop and took the trolley with our luggage and proceeded to the elevator.’
- ‘Jack cast a sideways glance at the female front desk attendant as he walked out the door behind the bellhop.’
- ‘His paintings of Parisian types, among them cooks and bellhops, referenced 17 th- and 18 th-century models.’
- ‘Incoming patients are greeted by a uniformed doorman, attentive bellhops and a concierge who whisks guests to their rooms.’
- ‘Please enjoy your stay,’ the bellhop said as he set down her bags.’
- ‘Feel free to tip the bellhop and the housekeeper 5% to 20% for good service, depending on the situation and how frequently they serve you.’
- ‘Others worked as cooks, waiters, and bellhops.’
- ‘He turned back to his son and nodded. ‘… Did the bellhop get all of your things?’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.