Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Essays, particularly of literary and artistic criticism, written and read primarily for their aesthetic effect.
learning, scholarship, erudition, education, knowledge, book learning, academic trainingView synonyms
- ‘Books of literate and entertaining essays on occasional topics - what used to be called belles-lettres - are no longer common, and that is a shame.’
- ‘This is downright impossible unless you reach for the treasury of belles-lettres, for its rich variety of expression.’
- ‘We review both belles-lettres and nonfiction.’
- ‘Lowenstein notes that the exclusion of Jews from prestigious professions such as the higher bureaucracy, military, and judiciary stimulated cultural creativity in more open environments such as journalism and belles-lettres.’
- ‘'With an Essay on Style' and 'Essays from the Guardian' encapsulate his engagement with Victorian periodical journalism and belles-lettres.’
2Literature considered as a fine art.
- ‘History ‘was considered a branch of belles-lettres.’’
- ‘So if the peer group is the Court, the discourse appropriate to such a dispersed social sphere would be belles-lettres.’
- ‘He himself writes Hellenistic (standard Greek), as befitted a technical writer; Atticism (imitation of classical Athenian authors) was confined to belles-lettres.’
- ‘Only a few years before, Longfellow had become professor of modern languages and belles-lettres at Harvard University.’
- ‘A prolific and often acute essayist, Kames's interests ranged from metaphysics to manners, morals, jurisprudence, belles-lettres, and agricultural improvement.’
Mid 17th century: from French, literally fine letters.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.