One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The most beautiful and popular girl or woman at a dance.
- ‘She would be the belle of the ball once again, an exotic darling from across the sea, to be petted and pampered and loved by all.’
- ‘In August this year she was the belle of the ball at her daughters wedding.’
- ‘She's the belle of the ball, the queen of the town.’
- ‘Your tree is up, your lights are twinkling and the soft sounds of Christmas carols are humming in the background, so it must be time to find the perfect frock to make you the belle of the ball.’
- ‘It was one of those great occasions in town, highlighted by selecting the belle of the ball at the dance that night.’
- ‘You are definitely going to be the belle of the ball.’
- ‘They were the belles of the ball in their part of the country.’
- ‘She was the life of the party the belle of the ball, the reason to live.’
- ‘‘You're going to be the belle of the ball,’ Jerry commented in her ear.’
- ‘Regaining his balance, Michael searched the room for his belle of the ball.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.