Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The supervisor of a group of bellboys.
- ‘Please present a parking ticket at the reception or to a bell captain.’
- ‘‘Certainly’ she replied, ‘just bring them to the bell captain, and he'll handle this for you.’’
- ‘Please make arrangements with the bell captain at the hotel.’
- ‘He remembers the white marble counter that he stood behind as the hotel's night bell captain for three years at the height of the Roaring Twenties.’
- ‘You can see hotel bell captains and taxi drivers on the green.’
bell captain/bel ˈkaptən/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.