One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
late, not on time, behind, behind schedule, behind target, behindhand, delayed, running late, overdue, belated, tardy, unpunctualView synonyms
- ‘A company spokesman said very little silage had been cut and the season was already about three to four weeks behind time.’
- ‘We arrived at York station 11 minutes behind time.’
- ‘If you are running behind time it is much more effective to answer all questions briefly than it is to answer a few really well.’
- ‘On another occasion, fire gutted the then indoor arena one show morning, but the schedule still went ahead only a few minutes behind time.’
- ‘Right now, there was no scope for pretence - Bhubanpati was way behind time.’
- ‘There were some delays and various problems over the years resulted in the project being very much behind time.’
- ‘‘The Port Tunnel is somewhat behind time, but it's still progressing well,’ Tobin said.’
- ‘We were running quite a while behind time as we got to central London.’
- ‘"This should be treated with urgency, because we are already behind time.’
- ‘The council fired the company saying they were behind time and over budget.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.