One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Taking place secretly or without public knowledge.
covertly, without anyone knowing, in secret, in private, privately, in confidence, confidentially, behind closed doors, behind the scenes, behind someone's back, under cover, under the counter, discreetly, unobserved, quietly, furtively, stealthily, on the sly, on the quiet, privily, conspiratorially, clandestinely, on the sideView synonyms
- ‘However, authorities refuse to comment on what is really happening behind closed doors.’
- ‘The club closed two weeks ago and negotiations had been taking place behind closed doors as to its future.’
- ‘Neither do they welcome publicity for their initiation ceremonies, conducted behind closed doors.’
- ‘The committee made the decision behind closed doors - its meetings are not open to press or public.’
- ‘There is no public oversight of the council and its meetings are held behind closed doors.’
- ‘He also gave expert evidence in many child protection cases which are held behind closed doors with no public scrutiny.’
- ‘Our view is that those who run the media should run it in public, and not behind closed doors.’
- ‘I certainly don't want to add my voice to a bitter argument that has raged for months behind closed doors.’
- ‘It appears that the two have talked behind closed doors and struck a deal.’
- ‘Mystery surrounds what was going on behind the closed doors of yesterday's board meeting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.