Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The alteration of behavioral patterns through the use of such learning techniques as biofeedback and positive or negative reinforcement.
- ‘I mean, it's a very involved, serious procedure that requires a great deal of recuperation and a lot of behavior modification after the surgery.’
- ‘Even if you aren't quite sure what causes your insomnia, experts agree that the simplest and least-expensive route to better sleep is behavior modification.’
- ‘As the student returns to participate in the class they receive information on nutrition education and behavior modification.’
- ‘While obesity can be treated with diet, exercise and behavior modification, a lack of confidence undermines the efforts of most of the obese population.’
- ‘Prevention of wound recurrence through patient education of risk factors and behavior modification is critical to protect the newly closed wound.’
- ‘Physicians really should try parent training, evaluation of the education structure and behavior modification before resorting to medications.’
- ‘A school or private counselor can explain behavior modification and help parents and teachers set up appropriate rewards for the child.’
- ‘Depending on the needs of your child, your doctor may recommend making changes in the classroom, and starting a program of behavior modification or psychological counseling.’
- ‘Perhaps more important, understanding the biological roots of violence may enable doctors to intervene with drugs, behavior modification or other techniques to try to offset a person's violent tendencies.’
- ‘She also works in behavior modification, helping children with delinquency and truancy problems.’
- ‘Cults often use behavior modification on followers, such as thought - stopping techniques and instilling an ‘us-versus-them’ mindset, Hassan said.’
- ‘Behavioral contracting is a proclaimed feature of many programs in behavior modification.’
- ‘Because hypertension has been linked to obesity, the first line of treatment should be family-based diet and behavior modification.’
- ‘Positive behavioral supports are an alternative to punishment and other traditional methods of behavior modification, which do not necessarily teach positive behaviors or create a climate of civility.’
- ‘But behavior modification works only in the most limited term and best when the subject is caged.’
- ‘Clearly, further study on behavior modification to prevent further smoking is needed, and a stronger emphasis must be placed on smoking cessation before patients are discharged from the hospital.’
- ‘In all three cases the institutional agents were not trained in behavior modification, but the programs were approved as such by the institution.’
- ‘Both individual counseling and support group meetings are available, with emphasis on behavior modification and nicotine replacement in selected individuals.’
- ‘Edinger divided the subjects into three groups, one group used behavior modification, one used relaxation techniques, and the last one was given a placebo.’
- ‘Most kids don't want to be ‘restricted’, so I find this works wonders as a temporary behavior modification.’
2another term for behavior therapy
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.