(of something bad) happen to someone.‘a tragedy befell his daughter’[no object] ‘she was to blame for anything that befell’
happen to, overtake, come upon, fall upon, hit, strike, be visited onhappen, occur, take place, chance to happen, arise, emerge, come about, transpire, materialize, appear, make an appearance, surface, crop up, spring up, present itselfView synonyms
- ‘We're sorry these warnings were too late to prevent the tragedy that befell your family.’
- ‘In November 1913 a fatal tragedy befell the family - after a quarrel Lora committed suicide.’
- ‘But bad luck befell the team, resulting in a year-long winless streak.’
- ‘Despite the disgrace and humiliation which eventually befell him, he never wavered from his beliefs.’
- ‘Summoning emergency help should an injury befall a walker would have been almost impossible.’
Old English befeallan to fall (early use being chiefly figurative); related to German befallen.