One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The small triangular brown fruit of the beech tree, pairs of which are enclosed in a prickly case.See beechmast
- ‘Although their diet includes some acorns and beechnuts in the fall, pileated woodpeckers eat mostly ants, flying insects, grubs, and some seeds and fruits.’
- ‘They were not to be felled or damaged because acorns and beechnuts were important pig fodder, and therefore constituted a source of income for the state.’
- ‘Even maple and ash seeds, with their helicopter-like samaras, may float only a few dozen yards on the wind, while larger seeds, such as acorns, beechnuts, and hickory nuts, drop like stones.’
- ‘Omnivorous, mainly vegetarians in the winter, jays eat many kinds of nuts and seeds, including acorns, beechnuts, grain, berries, and small fruit.’
- ‘We picked up horse chestnuts on the corner for the feel and look of them, and then gathered acorns and hazelnuts and beechnuts in the woods.’
- ‘They occurred throughout Eastern North America where they fed on acorns and beechnuts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.