One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A receptacle used by a bedridden patient as a toilet.
- ‘Besides being a financial burden who has reduced their living space, the family as a whole has to deal with all the rituals of bathing, bedpans, feedings, and doctor visits.’
- ‘After all, the drugs, brain-scanners, bed linen, bedpans and other hospital paraphernalia are provided by private companies earning a profit, but there isn't anyone saying they should be banned from the NHS.’
- ‘‘I have to change the bedpan now,’ she said, in a slightly louder voice than was necessary.’
- ‘Life quickly became a routine of pain killers and bedpans, but there were small achievements worth celebrating: getting out of bed and standing for the first time, taking that first step, and walking again.’
- ‘The ward nurse gave me a list of necessaries, beginning with soap and ending with a bedpan.’
- ‘He owned a shop in Southampton which also sold bedpans and surgical appliances.’
- ‘After all, who will empty the bedpans in nursing homes?’
- ‘When she comes on duty at 11 pm, she makes rounds, checking the residents for skin tears and helping them go to the toilet or use a bedpan.’
- ‘I'll help out in a hospital, as long as I don't have to do the bedpans.’
- ‘He peered outside, seeing the backside of a cursing orderly as he bent over to pick up a heap of empty bedpans.’
- ‘‘Oh, you know,’ Jesse said, ‘cleaning bedpans, giving patients sponge baths.’’
- ‘Miss Ito, who emptied bedpans, gave body baths and held hands through the night with people in pain, was downstairs helping out.’
- ‘They empty bedpans, give people bed baths (not as nice as you might imagine, especially for the washer), spoon food into mouths and care when families can't.’
- ‘Mike got really good at getting the bedpan to me in seconds when I croaked that I needed it and switching them out for clean ones.’
- ‘These kids will be up close to dawn, ready to clean bedpans and dress bedsores.’
- ‘The nature of my injury meant that, for several days, I could not move or be wheeled to the lavatory, so bedpans were the only option.’
- ‘Even the low-skilled workers who distribute the hospital meals and disinfect the bedpans must be highly trustworthy, for if they do their job wrong, patients will die.’
- ‘It's not all cleaning up bedpans and vomit; there are plenty of other more appealing activities that fall into the care profession category.’
- ‘Also at any time, bedpans and urinals are available for prolonged treatments.’
- ‘And finally, be really nice to your family and friends, you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.