Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cause to become dim.‘a slight cloud would bedim the sky’
- ‘It is the unbreakable staff of the arm, it has the powerful luster and its light even bedims the radiance of the sun.’
- ‘When the consciousness is bedimmed, when the higher concepts seem far removed, at least ponder about unity in actions of good.’
- ‘This is often translated into a feeling of ‘distance’, specifically the notion of observing or having one's view bedimmed or obscured by some form of barrier.’
- ‘At a Texas State Fair some four or five years since the President of the Confederate States was seen turning, with eyes bedimmed by tears, away from a picture at which he had been silently gazing.’
- ‘Unfurled in baleful grandeur, like some dark cloud of heaven, surcharged with thunder and the brewing tempest, it rides the air, and bedims the beams of day.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.