Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of rock) deposited in layers or strata, especially in a way specified.‘thinly bedded carbonate mudstones’
- ‘The sedimentary rocks are well bedded and dominated by mudstones with beds 2-5 metres thick.’
- ‘The thinner bedded sandstones are considered overbank flood deposits.’
- ‘Some of the bedded sandstone inclusions were folded prior to inclusion within the melange.’
- ‘The age of the tuff collected from bedded volcanic rocks newly exposed in the quarry at Bardon Hill is less easy to interpret.’
- ‘This is the only location where bedded sedimentary rocks were observed to be in direct contact with the pillow basalts.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.