One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Confinement of an invalid to bed as part of treatment.
- ‘This may range from limiting normal activities to complete bed rest for three to five days.’
- ‘One of the most dramatic has been the abandonment of bed rest as a treatment for low back pain and its replacement by early activity and exercise.’
- ‘Rest at home, although complete bed rest should not be necessary.’
- ‘There's no problem with bed rest for a child who feels ill enough to stay in bed.’
- ‘Patients are restricted to bed rest the first postoperative night.’
- ‘Some doctors advocate bed rest immediately after such injury to prevent post-traumatic problems.’
- ‘They had nine days of complete bed rest, and then they were sent home on the 10th day.’
- ‘He was admitted for bed rest and physiotherapy.’
- ‘Though he did not discuss his experience with anyone he was ill enough for a doctor to be called who prescribed complete bed rest.’
- ‘Clinical care emphasized strict bed rest for 6 weeks and supportive care.’
- ‘Previously, bed rest was frequently prescribed for patients with back pain.’
- ‘Long periods of inactivity, such as long-term bed rest.’
- ‘He was treated with bed rest and later discharged to his home in Ireland.’
- ‘After she had completed 2 hours of bed rest, her vital signs were stable.’
- ‘In the past, patients with any major medical illness were placed on prolonged bed rest.’
- ‘The most effective treatment, the programme seemed to say, was bed rest.’
- ‘A doctor visited Baksh at her Biche home yesterday and prescribed bed rest and medication after examining her.’
- ‘Treatment is aimed at lowering blood pressure and includes bed rest and drugs, usually in hospital where the condition can be monitored constantly.’
- ‘Because of this, doctors often suggest bed rest and prescribe medication to alleviate the symptoms.’
- ‘Decades ago, the only recommendation for people with serious heart problems was bed rest - and many weeks of it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.