Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Sleeping accommodations for a night and a morning meal, provided in guest houses and small hotels.
- ‘I wanted to get away for two nights this week for the Easter Holidays with my wife and my young son who is eleven and was quoted €740 for two night's bed and breakfast with one evening meal.’
- ‘The hotel is offering a special rate of €139 per person sharing for two nights bed and breakfast.’
- ‘An all in price of €199 covers two nights bed and breakfast, one evening meal and a ticket to either day at the races.’
- ‘Rooms cost €65 per person for two nights bed and breakfast throughout the autumn.’
- ‘There are also two-night luxury short breaks including dinner, bed and breakfast from £250 per room (for two people).’
- ‘Cost is £85 per person which includes one night's bed and breakfast at a Slough hotel, match ticket and transport.’
- ‘Each group of tourists stayed at these farmhouses for two nights and enjoyed bed and breakfast and an evening meal plus a welcome snack on arrival.’
- ‘Guests can stay mid week for two nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal from €135 per person sharing.’
- ‘The cost is €120 per person sharing, which includes six nights bed and breakfast, lunch and evening tea.’
- ‘Hotels are offering deals such as two or three nights bed and breakfast and one dinner, so that means people go out to eat somewhere else on the other nights.’
- ‘There are also now attractive fly break packages of return flights from Dublin and two nights bed and breakfast in local hotels for people wanting to spend a short break here without having to spend three hours or so on the road or on the train.’
- ‘The price includes bed and breakfast in a two-star hotel and flights from Glasgow to Strasbourg via Paris’
- ‘The outing takes place from Friday, July 5 to Sunday, July 7 and will consist of two nights bed and breakfast and two evening meals.’
- ‘Prices start at £88 per person for bed and breakfast.’
- ‘This price includes three nights' bed and breakfast, one evening meal and a gala banquet on New Year's Eve.’
- ‘This includes four night bed and breakfast plus four evening meals.’
- ‘The appellant's family had for many years been involved in a business providing bed and breakfast and hotel accommodation in the Harrow area.’
- ‘Patients enjoy a discounted rate for bed and breakfast at a local three-star hotel.’
- ‘Price includes golf, bed and breakfast and starts at £159 (accommodation ranges from guest houses to luxury hotels).’
- ‘Accommodation, bed and breakfast and dinner £69 per person (minimum two nights, based on two adults sharing).’
- 1.1A guest house or small hotel offering sleeping accommodations and a morning meal.
- ‘In the morning we made a reservation at a bed and breakfast, and told the woman on the phone that we would be arriving in a few hours.’
- ‘We made the four-hour drive Sunday and spent the night in a bed and breakfast.’
- ‘The first night we stayed at a delightful bed and breakfast in a Galilean town, built on a hillside.’
- ‘The bloodstained body of a Scotswoman was discovered in the boot of a car near a Blackpool bed and breakfast, it was revealed last night.’
- ‘It could once again be turned into a bed and breakfast or even a small hotel, while the swimming pool and games room could be revamped as guest facilities or as extras for a growing family.’
- ‘I can stay in a bed and breakfast Friday and Saturday nights and come back home Sunday.’
- ‘Accommodation is in a bed and breakfast two-star hotel, which is clean, basic and has en suite showers.’
- ‘Places to stay range from hotels and bed and breakfast to self-catering apartments, farmhouses and camping.’
- ‘They were told that a booking was being made at a bed and breakfast hotel in the N15 area, and that that accommodation was all that could be found.’
- ‘Kate's parents also criticised Swindon Council for allocating their daughter temporary accommodation in a bed and breakfast used to house other, older drug addicts.’
- ‘She said the city had been busy on Saturday and yesterday, with most of the city's hotels and bed and breakfast accommodation booked up.’
- ‘Accommodation is plentiful whether you try hotels, motels, bed and breakfast or for something a little different a farmstay.’
- ‘‘We are getting people from all over and many of them are happy to spend the night in our bed and breakfast,’ said Monica Nkosiane.’
- ‘Weekend occupancy rates at hotels, guesthouses and bed and breakfast establishments are high and many say they have yet to experience a slump after the summer holiday season.’
- ‘I'm seriously considering going back for the weekend of the 19th July - I'd like to book a bed and breakfast for the Saturday night and make a weekend of it.’
- ‘For all of these reasons, more and more people are turning to bed and breakfast hotels and inns for quality vacationing.’
- ‘Hotels, guesthouses and bed and breakfast establishments had the no vacancy signs out early and pubs, restaurants and nightclubs enjoyed a roaring trade.’
bed and breakfast/ˈbe dən ˈbrekfəst/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.