Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A deciduous Chinese shrub of the honeysuckle family, with clusters of yellow-throated pink tubular flowers, widely cultivated as an ornamental.
- ‘Usually beauty bushes are spectacular for the short time they're in bloom, but ‘just another shrub’ the rest of the year.’
- ‘Other shrubs that blossom in June are mountain laurel, beauty bush (Kolkwitzia amabilis, zones 5 to 8), mock orange (Philadelphus, zones 5 to 8), and azalea (Rhododendron, zones 5 to 7).’
- ‘For colored bark or twigs, try beauty bush, corkscrew willow, mountain mahogany, Mormon tea, and redtwig and yellowtwig dogwood.’
- ‘I would like to plant a beauty bush as part of a shrub border to screen us from the road.’
- ‘We are still running behind last year, the rhododendrons are just starting to bloom, no spider worts or beauty bush blooms yet.’
- ‘Among these valuable water plants, I noted various seaweed: some Cladostephus verticillatus, peacock's tails, fig-leafed caulerpa, grain-bearing beauty bushes, delicate rosetangle tinted scarlet, sea colander arranged into fan shapes, mermaid's cups that looked like the caps of squat mushrooms and for years had been classified among the zoophytes; in short, a complete series of algae.’
- ‘With beauty bushes, heavenly bamboo, lilacs and any cane-type shrub, you will want take these old branches down to the ground.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.