One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Succeed in finding a means of getting around rules, regulations, or other means of control.
- ‘The truth is that the average consumer today has no moral compunction about beating the system.’
- ‘A father desperate to get his daughter into a prestigious girls grammar school - 15 miles from where he lives - revealed how he beat the system.’
- ‘It's fascinating just to watch the parties whooping it up at the craps tables, the dead-eyed addicts feeding the slots and the seasoned professionals trying to beat the system.’
- ‘We had tried to beat the system, but the system had beaten us.’
- ‘No matter what you do, they're going to look for ways to beat the system, and sometimes they'll succeed.’
- ‘Folks are beginning to figure out how they can beat the system, so to speak, because there are all sorts of travel restrictions.’
- ‘Follow these seven rules and you too can beat the system and earn money from your plastic.’
- ‘We often get complaints from loyal and honest passengers who are frustrated by the people who believe they can beat the system.’
- ‘Although he admitted that there are some people that are currently beating the system, he stressed that the current taxation process is the only way to go.’
- ‘Armed with that information, it would be relatively easy to help an applicant beat the system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.