One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Prove to be vastly superior to.
- ‘While these speakers can't compete with a good home stereo system, they will beat the pants off of ultra-portables and most computer speakers.’
- ‘But by exercising tenacity and faithfully staying the course, these companies beat the pants off their competitors.’
- ‘California wines have been beating the pants off of French wines for quite a while now.’
- ‘They never guessed that some of us were beating the pants off of them academically.’
- ‘But of course the best scenario is we beat the pants off our competition and go on as if nothing happened.’
- ‘He told me about a New England bike racer who had his left arm amputated and was beating the pants off everybody.’
- ‘You have to give Microsoft a lot of credit for beating the pants off of Nintendo in the console gaming market so fast.’
- ‘It is rare when a company introduces a new line of apparel that literally beats the pants off its competitors.’
- ‘It is beating the pants off our other mailer.’
- ‘It's not an easy thing, coming out with something that beats the pants off your tablemates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.