One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Prove to be vastly superior to.
- ‘It's not an easy thing, coming out with something that beats the pants off your tablemates.’
- ‘It is beating the pants off our other mailer.’
- ‘But by exercising tenacity and faithfully staying the course, these companies beat the pants off their competitors.’
- ‘But of course the best scenario is we beat the pants off our competition and go on as if nothing happened.’
- ‘You have to give Microsoft a lot of credit for beating the pants off of Nintendo in the console gaming market so fast.’
- ‘They never guessed that some of us were beating the pants off of them academically.’
- ‘While these speakers can't compete with a good home stereo system, they will beat the pants off of ultra-portables and most computer speakers.’
- ‘He told me about a New England bike racer who had his left arm amputated and was beating the pants off everybody.’
- ‘It is rare when a company introduces a new line of apparel that literally beats the pants off its competitors.’
- ‘California wines have been beating the pants off of French wines for quite a while now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.