One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Defeat or surpass someone completely or thoroughly.
trounce, defeat utterly, beat, annihilate, drub, give a drubbing to, crush, rout, worst, overwhelm, outclassView synonyms
- ‘Given the standards of Indian movies, the splendid three-hour session will ensure that you beat the romance on the screen hollow!’
- ‘Kerala's Shiva Priya's dream run came to an end in the 63 kg division where Asian champion Aruna Mishra beat her hollow in the first round.’
- ‘I had the pleasure of beating him hollow at Pro Evolution Soccer 4.’
- ‘Team-Pakistan beat India hollow at the Kotla grounds.’
- ‘Irish landlords were bad enough in the past, but this new importation from England beats them hollow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.