One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A movement of young people in the 1950s who rejected conventional society and favored Zen Buddhism, modern jazz, free sexuality, and recreational drugs. Among writers associated with the movement were Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg.
- ‘So, beat generation hermits aside, who are the potential Gwyneth Herbert fans?’
- ‘He said that he also knew the name Ram Dass only in association with ‘Be Here Now ‘- which he found when he was ‘into the beat generation.’’
- ‘Brinkmann's breathless speaking takes up the ‘howl’ of the beat generation, his lust for the loud is like concrete poetry.’
- ‘The Guevara of ‘The Motorcycle Diaries’ is a poetic presence, a kindred spirit of the beat generation.’
- ‘She is a glutton for experience and was soon experimenting with sex, drugs and books which reflected those concerns - Henry Miller, Marguerite Duras and the writers of the beat generation.’
- ‘The word ‘Beat’ comes from an offhand remark made by Kerouac, who called himself and his postwar peers ‘a beat generation,’ meaning down-and-out, or ‘finished.’’
- ‘In fact, Breathing Fire 2 takes a look at the engaging Canadian voices of poets born in 1970s, the decade that followed the beret-clad beat generation.’
- ‘My father was cool about it, which makes sense: he's cool, in the beret-wearing beat generation way.’
- ‘There's the association of ‘women of the beat generation,’ which is a retrospective grouping.’
- ‘The father of flower power, the icon of the beat generation, an early champion of gay rights - Allen Ginsberg was all these and yet never dated.’
- ‘For us the beat generation of the 60s was legendary.’
- ‘She was drawn to the script principally because of Trocchi, considered by some to be Britain's only true writer of the beat generation.’
- ‘He followed that with Young Adam - starring Ewan McGregor - an authentic adaptation of beat generation writer Alexander Trocchi's novel about a drifter.’
- ‘He had the Borscht belt sexism and made it modern-day: ‘There are no women in the beat generation, ‘he said, ‘just girls who have broken with their parents for the evening.’’
- ‘I would draw from this list in my high school days and beyond and get pulled into the world of existentialism, the beat generation, Greek philosophy, and more.’
- ‘It thrived with the likes of Allen Ginsburg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Lenny Bruce, but isn't an art form that died along with the beat generation.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.