One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The number of beats per second, equal to the difference in the frequencies of two interacting tones or oscillations.
- ‘The low frequency tone emitted in flight is plainly audible to the ear and microphonic filtering yielded the wing beat frequency, as Sotavalta reliably showed for many insect species.’
- ‘When I got home, I noticed an interference pattern on many channels resembling the beat frequency when signal cables are too close to power cords.’
- ‘The measurements were made at a frequency of 10 Hz, because this frequency approximates to human airway ciliary beat frequency.’
- ‘The motion of all structures was smooth and periodic, with a period corresponding to the beat frequency.’
- ‘For example, 10 cm R. catesbeiana at room temperature swim at tail beat frequencies that cluster around either 3 Hz or 10 Hz.’
- ‘In contrast, RLC phosphorylation is elevated in rats during increased beat frequency or left ventricular pressure due to exercise or inotropic agents.’
- ‘Some people are sensitive to beat frequencies, the difference between flickering sources at two different rates.’
- ‘In insects, including Drosophila, cold temperatures lower wing beat frequency and thus power output, resulting in reduced flight performance.’
- ‘Hypertonic nasal irrigation has been shown to increase mucociliary clearance and ciliary beat frequency.’
- ‘The separation distance of images of your hand would be the velocity of your hand divided by the beat frequency, or, as a formula.’
- ‘Only one patient had severely reduced beat frequency.’
- ‘In particular the wing beat frequency of intact tethered locusts flying in a wind stream becomes essentially insensitive to temperature increases after a prior heat shock.’
- ‘His interest is in the kind of beat frequencies, harmonics and overtones made by combining tones that differ from each other by only a few hertz, sketching out his ideas using sine waves and oscilloscopes.’
- ‘However, at tail beat frequencies at or below 3 Hz, there was a clear phase shift of as much as 1deg per 1% body length between the wave of EMG activity and the bending wave.’
- ‘It was gratifying to see that the lowest fundamental frequency (resonant frequency) predicted by their model was in good agreement with our observed 3 Hz tail beat frequency preferred by tadpoles of the same size and species.’
- ‘The diagnosis is much less likely to be missed if beat pattern analysis and electron microscopy are undertaken in addition to beat frequency measurement.’
- ‘Its useful range was approximately fourfold lower than the wing beat frequency range capable of supporting Drosophila flight.’
- ‘Flight ability and wing beat frequency were measured at 15°C, the same temperature at which muscle mechanical measurements were performed, to allow direct comparison of muscle kinetics and flight parameters.’
- ‘While ‘Sine Wave Study’ illustrates boldly the capacity for beat frequencies to produce low pitches from two high pitches.’
- ‘This beat frequency is obtained in electronic form on the output side of the detector.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.