One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal, especially a mammal, that kills and eats other animals.
- ‘Hence killing is portrayed as a means of survival, making the hunter the biggest beast of prey in the forest.’
- ‘Perhaps it would have made sense to allow the private sector to have these so called ‘windfalls’, much as one throws a carcass to a hungry marauding beast of prey.’
- ‘Some argue that predatory market forces make it impossible for benevolent governments to shield their populations from the beasts of prey that lurk beyond their borders.’
- ‘In the vision of this chapter, Daniel sees the successive empires of this world as nothing more than grotesque beasts of prey that devour each other.’
- ‘He comes in this role, says Nietzsche, ‘to represent practically a new type of the beast of prey,’ one who is ‘venerable, wise, cold, full of treacherous superiority’.’
- ‘Apparently, those who approved the ad were not familiar with Emerson's 1847 journal entry: ‘I feel, meantime, that those who succeed in life, in civilized society, are beasts of prey.’’
- ‘Alekhine once commented that the chess master should be a combination of a beast of prey and an ascetic monk.’
- ‘The trapper did not see the form of a white beast of prey calling his growling message to the glow of the moon; he only saw a white figure bowing and baying out an inviting call.’
- ‘Evidently, we have a powerful desire to portray fearsome beasts of prey as rulers of prehistoric nature.’
- ‘‘Largely my life has been spent in protecting these flocks against the incursions of ravenous beasts of prey,’ he explained.’
- ‘Nonetheless, the White House sought to portray a toothless tabby-cat as a savage beast of prey.’
- ‘If we give our world a good look, he claimed, we will see ‘refined beasts of prey run, and we [ourselves] run [ning] in their midst.’’
- ‘Once flourishing human settlements in the countryside had turned into jungles and had become haunts of wild beasts of prey.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.