One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich sauce thickened with egg yolks and flavored with tarragon.
- ‘‘Yeah,’ I shot back, ‘and I like my mice with a nice Béarnaise sauce.’’
- ‘I grew up on steak, chips, Béarnaise sauce and garlic mushrooms served at steak-houses.’
- ‘It is a constituent of fines herbes, and is often used with tarragon, in Béarnaise sauce, for instance.’
- ‘It's like slathering a Big Mac with Béarnaise sauce and pretending it's filet mignon.’
- ‘You want the juices to run when you cut into it, staining your chips, mixing up with your Béarnaise sauce and getting your own juices flowing at the same time.’
Béarnaise, feminine of French béarnais ‘of Béarn’, a region of SW France.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.