Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dog of a shaggy breed of collie with long hair on the face.
- ‘Geeson groups the dogs together according to their coats, so the longcoated breeds such as Afghan hounds, bearded collies and Yorkshire terriers are all together.’
- ‘The three-year-old bearded collie uses his keen sense of smell to sniff out missing people.’
- ‘Out in the kitchen, I'm introduced to more of her four-legged friends: Bernard, a huge Irish Wolfhound / bearded collie cross, Jojo, a Maltese terrier cross, and Nicky, a Norfolk terrier cross Angela is looking after for her neighbour.’
- ‘Six weeks ago she adopted an eight year old bearded collie, which has stared displaying behavioural problems.’
- ‘Six weeks ago Jess' kennel mate, Silver, a four-year-old bearded collie, gave birth to a litter of four.’
- ‘Pekinese, bearded collies, dachshunds and Yorkshire terriers were among the 260 dogs seized at a single house in Lancashire last month.’
- ‘Last year, Joyce Jones, aged 44, from Westhoughton was given a 160-hour community service order after admitting causing unnecessary suffering to 14-year-old bearded collie called Digby.’
- ‘A 5-year-old bearded collie female was referred for cytogenetic studies due to infertility.’
- ‘Various breeds of pedigree dogs, including miniatures shih-tzus and lhasa apsos, dachshunds, bearded collies and a corgi were recovered.’
- ‘They have a wicked bearded collie called Dudley who I spent a lot of time winding up!’
- ‘The dogs included shih-tzus, dachshunds, lhasa apsos, bearded collies, corgis, chihuahuas, poodles, pekinese and Yorkshire terriers.’
- ‘‘It's like a large family reunion with dogs,’ said Banfield, who owns two bearded collies, Lorna and Buddy.’
- ‘The breeds from which the sheepdog sprang are not identified, though some people maintain that Scotch bearded collies played a significant role in the sheepdog's development.’
- ‘The three-year-old bearded collie has developed a phobia to firework explosions and owner Shirley Brown has been told by vets to consider having her put down.’
- ‘Today judges will see all the working group, which includes boxers and dobermans, as well as the pastoral section, featuring bearded collies and the old English sheepdog.’
- ‘She said the competition would be tough but looked forward to showing her bearded collie, Polly.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.