One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A bearlike climbing mammal, especially the red panda or binturong.
- ‘But again, it's called a bearcat with a prehensile tail.’
- ‘Instead he sighed and said, ‘It's a real bearcat.’’
- ‘Originally nicknamed the catbear, the red panda became known as the bearcat.’
- ‘What is a bearcat, and why is that town the home of them?’
2US informal An aggressive or forceful person.
- ‘He's a bearcat, I wouldn't kid you.’
- ‘His English teacher was a great lady and she was a bearcat on making everything perfect, he laughs.’
- ‘My son is a total bearcat when his gums are hurting him.’
- ‘As the sports staff soon found out, he was a bearcat on statistics.’
- ‘I bet she is a bearcat to live with.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.