One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A market in which prices are falling, encouraging selling.
- ‘Many of these companies' share prices have held up well in the bear market of the last three years.’
- ‘In addition. every stock market in the world will soon be in a bear market for the very first time.’
- ‘In a bear market most equities are going down in price with occasional rallies.’
- ‘And the revival in share prices has prompted many an investor to declare the bear market is finally over.’
- ‘At the depths of a bear market, when the market is down and dirty, it is hard to make people believe that an upturn is at hand.’
- ‘When the market became a bear market, the investment income to pay losses dissolved.’
- ‘As the bear market got into its stride, the survey found most private investors unfortunately looking to good times ahead.’
- ‘The three-year bear market in shares has scared off many investors from investing in the stock market for the time being.’
- ‘I would see the markets and even the price of oil as being something ancillary to the bear market.’
- ‘Despite a three-year bear market share prices can not be said to be cheap.’
- ‘Within each cycle a bull market of 32 months is followed by a bear market of about 14 months.’
- ‘Therefore, your pension is priced for a bull market, not a bear market, and as a result is very risky.’
- ‘As the bear market in shares has become more pronounced, messenger shooters have become more common.’
- ‘It is also time to sell any stock or fund not suited to a severe bear market.’
- ‘Everyone who wanted to sell as a result of the preceding bear market had already done so.’
- ‘The bear market depressed both investment banking revenue and secondary trading volumes.’
- ‘Tech stocks led the way up in the last bull market and had spectacular hangovers in the bear market.’
- ‘This year, with a bear market in beer prices, it's getting harder than ever to resist.’
- ‘Seventy-five years ago this week, US shares dived into the worst bear market in history’
- ‘Despite the last bear market, the record books do show shares winning out over the very long haul.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.