Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small sturdy hound of a breed with a coat of medium length, bred especially for hunting.
- ‘Jake's dad has two twin little girls with red hair, and a little beagle for a dog.’
- ‘Areas of disagreement is that the impact of hunting with hounds and beagles, we are not actually quite clear whether they have any significant impact on hare numbers overall.’
- ‘Because beagles were bred as a pack animals, they are inclined to get along well with other dogs - and with cats, too.’
- ‘They released their hounds by a wood, and soon the dogs had picked up the trail of a fox; a beagle sounded the alarm and the rest of the dogs came running, keeping the trail fresh.’
- ‘We therefore investigated the allelic variations of the DRD4 gene in the beagle and Shetland sheepdog, as well as in the golden retriever and shiba.’
- ‘The beagles and hounds would have to be killed and all you animal rights people out there would never be happy.’
- ‘His daughter, Elizabeth I, often took beagles to the hunting field in baskets attached to the horses' saddles.’
- ‘Like the panthers, and lion, and jaguars, there are huskies, beagles, greyhounds, danes, rottweiler, and a few others.’
- ‘I visited New York recently and on landing at Newark airport was taken through a customs hall where a beagle dog was eagerly examining luggage.’
- ‘Our beagle mix puppy is almost two, so I'm running out of time to blame this on ‘puppyhood.’’
- ‘It will then be compared to small amounts of sequence from 10 to 20 other breeds, including the beagle, to study genetic variation within the canine species.’
- ‘For example, the beagle is a hunting dog and was trained to bark when it spotted the prey.’
- ‘The guard's interrogatory was cut short as a beagle began tearing at his trouser leg.’
- ‘Another Doberman, two beagles, a chihuahua, a Finnish spitz, a Westie and a retriever will also be travelling up with their owners to the competition on March 6 to 9.’
- ‘Animal rights activists are set to launch a legal campaign against the Home Office over its examination of welfare standards at a centre which breeds beagles for medical research.’
- ‘Gun dogs, beagles, carriage horses and staghounds are highly trained and strictly controlled: they are also meticulously presented and in a certain measure put on display.’
- ‘The date is also traditionally the first day of hunting meets and foxhounds, lurchers, greyhounds, beagles, minkhounds, terriers and other hunting dogs will all be taken along to Higham.’
- ‘It is regarded by many as the most prestigious fell hound show there is, with classes for beagles, harriers, Jack Russell's and terriers.’
- ‘Like most dogs, beagles are capable of detecting many different types of odors.’
- ‘Huntsmen from as far away Middletown joined others from Limerick and Kerry with a large pack of beagles.’
Late 15th century: perhaps from Old French beegueule open-mouthed from beer open wide + gueule throat.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.