One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small sturdy hound of a breed with a coat of medium length, bred especially for hunting.
- ‘Another Doberman, two beagles, a chihuahua, a Finnish spitz, a Westie and a retriever will also be travelling up with their owners to the competition on March 6 to 9.’
- ‘The beagles and hounds would have to be killed and all you animal rights people out there would never be happy.’
- ‘The guard's interrogatory was cut short as a beagle began tearing at his trouser leg.’
- ‘I visited New York recently and on landing at Newark airport was taken through a customs hall where a beagle dog was eagerly examining luggage.’
- ‘Our beagle mix puppy is almost two, so I'm running out of time to blame this on ‘puppyhood.’’
- ‘Like most dogs, beagles are capable of detecting many different types of odors.’
- ‘Areas of disagreement is that the impact of hunting with hounds and beagles, we are not actually quite clear whether they have any significant impact on hare numbers overall.’
- ‘For example, the beagle is a hunting dog and was trained to bark when it spotted the prey.’
- ‘It will then be compared to small amounts of sequence from 10 to 20 other breeds, including the beagle, to study genetic variation within the canine species.’
- ‘Because beagles were bred as a pack animals, they are inclined to get along well with other dogs - and with cats, too.’
- ‘Huntsmen from as far away Middletown joined others from Limerick and Kerry with a large pack of beagles.’
- ‘Like the panthers, and lion, and jaguars, there are huskies, beagles, greyhounds, danes, rottweiler, and a few others.’
- ‘Animal rights activists are set to launch a legal campaign against the Home Office over its examination of welfare standards at a centre which breeds beagles for medical research.’
- ‘Gun dogs, beagles, carriage horses and staghounds are highly trained and strictly controlled: they are also meticulously presented and in a certain measure put on display.’
- ‘The date is also traditionally the first day of hunting meets and foxhounds, lurchers, greyhounds, beagles, minkhounds, terriers and other hunting dogs will all be taken along to Higham.’
- ‘Jake's dad has two twin little girls with red hair, and a little beagle for a dog.’
- ‘We therefore investigated the allelic variations of the DRD4 gene in the beagle and Shetland sheepdog, as well as in the golden retriever and shiba.’
- ‘His daughter, Elizabeth I, often took beagles to the hunting field in baskets attached to the horses' saddles.’
- ‘They released their hounds by a wood, and soon the dogs had picked up the trail of a fox; a beagle sounded the alarm and the rest of the dogs came running, keeping the trail fresh.’
- ‘It is regarded by many as the most prestigious fell hound show there is, with classes for beagles, harriers, Jack Russell's and terriers.’
Late 15th century: perhaps from Old French beegueule ‘open-mouthed’, from beer ‘open wide’ + gueule ‘throat’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.