Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Decorative work made of beads.
- ‘Finally he offered him a small leather pouch decorated with beadwork.’
- ‘The Yei of Ngamiland in Botswana were known for a type of beadwork in which white and black were contrasted to form true optical illusions.’
- ‘The days are designed for kids aged five to 12 years, with heaps of creative activities on offer such as cooking, beadwork and other crafty ideas, painting and much more.’
- ‘Torches decorated with African beadwork were brought through the streets of Polokwane and used to light the Special Olympic flame.’
- ‘Folk craft traditions include beadwork, sewing, pottery making, house decoration, and weaving.’
- ‘In the lobby a lady from the Nolebela Tribe was painting murals on a traditional mud hut and doing beadwork as well.’
- ‘Collars were another category of clothing often decorated with elaborate beadwork on the Northwest Coast.’
- ‘Detail embroidery, retro beadwork, sequins and lace add a touch of Hollywood glamour.’
- ‘She wore a blouse and skirt decorated in intricate beadwork and a kilt made of old silver coins.’
- ‘She does the final beadwork and embellishments herself.’
- ‘Much of the exhibition is focused on body adornment, primarily beadwork, though sculpture in a variety of media is represented as well.’
- ‘Regional variations in beadwork also speak to the importance of cultural identities and the differences that exist among identities of Zulu-speaking people of these various areas.’
- ‘Recent beadwork pieces are displayed here as well, enhanced by photographs depicting the contemporary uses of eastern and southern African beadwork in both Africa and the West.’
- ‘Conducted by master artists, classes will be offered in beadwork, painting, costume design, pottery, doll making, fiber art, photography and jewelry making.’
- ‘Her skirts are mostly made out of chiffon and georgette, liberally embellished with beadwork and appliqués.’
- ‘They are often heavily embellished with embroidery, beadwork, and hand painted floral designs.’
- ‘For many centuries, beadwork in the West was an activity with an ornamental purpose, practiced by young women in polite society to decorate clothing and personal objects.’
- ‘During the skills transfer period, all 60 women will be involved in activities like jewellery making using beadwork, pottery, weaving, fabric tying and dying and other skills.’
- ‘He had been dressed in a jacket trimmed in red feathers and decorated with intricate beadwork.’
- ‘Though not scholarly, these volumes provide the most detailed study to date of the social significance of beadwork within a Xhosa-speaking society.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.