One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to emphasize that something is fixed and unchangeable.‘anything can change—nothing is written in stone’
unalterable, immutable, invariable, unvarying, invariant, changeless, firm, fixed, hard and fast, cast-iron, set in stone, set, decided, established, permanent, deep-rooted, enduring, abiding, lasting, indestructible, ineradicable, irreversible, unfading, constant, perpetual, eternal, lifelongView synonyms
- ‘Your training goals are not written in stone; changes should be made as necessary to work toward a common goal.’
- ‘There seems to be a few set in stone, undeniable, eternal truths as to what the future will be like.’
- ‘Somehow, along the way, it seemed that the ‘idea’ became written in stone and that the SLC Great Hall would expand accordingly.’
- ‘However, an RFL spokesman said ten teams per division was a minimum, not a fixed figure, while the new format was not yet set in stone.’
- ‘While many thought that the current proposed standard was written in stone might have to change their minds and wait until the squabbling is over.’
- ‘Don't follow your itinerary as if written in stone.’
- ‘It seems to me there is a sizeable swathe of British public opinion who regard modernity, radicalism and the like merely as an experiment, not as something that is here forever, written in stone.’
- ‘However, this is not set in stone, as the help the family requires changes all the time.’
- ‘He adds that that partnership is not written in stone.’
- ‘From what I've learned, the past is set in stone and we can't change it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.