One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be very mediocre or unexceptional.
tedious, dull, monotonousView synonyms
- ‘There are several tea houses and eating establishments which appear interesting but on the whole offer nothing to write home about.’
- ‘It got mediocre but promising ratings in the first season - nothing to write home about, but enough to warrant a second season.’
- ‘Alas, most of the food is nothing to write home about: the salad dressing is quite bland, the shrimps are fresh though boring, and, incredibly, garlic is nowhere to be found.’
- ‘The coral cover was nothing to write home about and the usual reef fish-life seemed poor.’
- ‘The story's nothing to write home about - a family gathers for the laying to rest of their mother and sister who has just died.’
- ‘The support band was alright, nothing to write home about.’
- ‘The mushrooms were nothing to write home about.’
- ‘The ambience is nothing to write home about: just over a dozen seats in a small, sparsely decorated white room.’
- ‘The quality of the cooking was nothing to write home about, but considering that it was a Sunday and the kitchen was probably running at half-kilter, one could certainly eat worse food at a greater cost in many other restaurants.’
- ‘Rooms are plantation-style, a tad on the small side and nothing to write home about, although the restaurant, a fusion of French and Creole, is a definite winner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.