One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have only a short time to live.
- ‘A child, not long for this world should have a heavenly name.’
- ‘One can only assume that the 95-year old is not long for this world.’
- ‘In act, Dan was still laying drains well after doctors told him he was not long for this world.’
- ‘I'm going to need a new chair for the coming season - my old one, made of metal tubing, has developed an alarming creak over the winter and is not long for this world, I fear.’
- ‘There are a few who know the reasons behind the murders, but they too are not long for this world.’
- ‘In general, my tastes in television are a reliable guide to what's about to get cancelled - if I like it, it is not long for this world.’
- ‘Sure enough, I tracked him down only to find out that he's extremely ill and possibly not long for this world.’
- ‘One way or another, whether we like it or not we are all not long for this world.’
- ‘As I watched and listened to Marie, I was overwhelmed by the love she showed this sick, frail man - not long for this world, with nothing to give her in return.’
- ‘Sadly however, like our four other sisters, Caroline, Sophie, Amelie and Victory, he was not long for this world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.