One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman) give birth to a child.‘she was brought to bed of a daughter’
- ‘Nine months later she was brought to bed of a son.’
- ‘Although she had been brought to bed and completed her ‘crying out’, she was still ‘in the straw’ (alluding to early bed-fillings) and would remain so for a full month.’
- ‘Soon Estelle could no longer bear to stand and was brought to bed to deliver the child.’
- ‘In early fall Estelle was brought to bed of the child.’
- ‘When the woman was brought to bed, the enchantress appeared at once, gave the child the name of Rapunzel, and took it away with her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.