One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person's mouth.
- ‘When you have nothing sensible or helpful to say, keep your bazoos shut!’
- ‘I am Senator Henry Ashurst of Arizona, and I am opposed to office holders who go to and return from Europe shooting off their bazoos about how Europe should be run.’
2A person's buttocks or anus.
backside, behind, seat, rump, rear, rear endView synonyms
- ‘If you believe that literally, you've got naivety out the bazoo.’
- ‘I called today to change my package - they gave me free stuff out the bazoo the first month and I wanted to get some stuff removed.’
- ‘You'll see patents out the bazoo, better-backed startups, higher-volume production, and better competition.’
- ‘You have talent out the bazoo!’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin; compare with Dutch bazuin ‘trombone, trumpet’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.