One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of transmission speed equal to the number of times a signal changes state per second. For one baud is equivalent to one bit per second.
- ‘The serial line initializes the serial port to the proper baud and settings.’
- ‘The Land Mobile Radio system provides intermixed digital voice and data transmission over multiple 9,600 baud, half-duplex channels.’
- ‘This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud.’
- ‘Traditional GSM data access gives the user a maximum of 9600 baud over its radio coding scheme.’
- ‘That mojo wire was a 300 baud acoustic coupler driving a TTY session.’
1930s: coined in French from the name of Jean M. E. Baudot (1845–1903), French engineer who invented a telegraph printing system.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.