One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fiercely contested fight or dispute.‘there promises to be a battle royal between the two companies’
quarrel, argument, row, fight, disagreement, difference of opinion, dissension, falling-out, dispute, disputation, contention, squabble, contretemps, clash, altercation, exchange, brawl, tussle, conflict, affray, war of words, shouting match, fracas, wrangle, tangle, misunderstanding, passage at arms, passage of arms, battle royalView synonyms
- ‘The wisdom of those remarks is demonstrated by the revelation that these parties have spent £50,000 on this litigation so far and they still have a battle royal to fight over damages for misrepresentation.’
- ‘Still, the financial services industry is girding itself for a battle royal.’
- ‘The coach believes the match will be a battle royal, inspired by a clash of styles.’
- ‘What is emerging is a battle royal between companies and politicians out to create a single European market in electricity and those fighting to defend narrow national interests.’
- ‘Del Toro brings a solid visual eye to the project, but his fight scenes are overlong and too close to a WWF battle royal than superhuman opponents squaring off.’
- ‘Take advantage of the ice, snow and cold of January by ice skating, sledding, skiing, building a snow family or staging a snowball battle royal.’
- ‘But Killererin won't go down without a battle royal.’
- ‘And so, given the budget deficits ahead, the battle royal will be fought over what remains of federal social spending.’
- ‘We all know now that London triumphed, but from the moment the 2004 Games ended in Athens there was a battle royal with the other four cities in contention - Paris, New York, Madrid and Moscow.’
- ‘Consequently, there will now be a battle royal (of which this article is part) about the rights and wrongs of these particular tactics, and the bigger picture will inevitably be lost.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.