One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of waist-length jacket worn by army personnel.
- ‘Offstage, we were limited to wearing officer's uniforms comprised of battle jackets, skirts and caps.’
- ‘General Hall also proposed a duty uniform with a short battle jacket and a dress outfit with a single- or double-breasted blouse.’
- ‘The above photo is a unique casual portrait of him wearing a battle jacket that has the 85th ‘CD’ patch.’
- ‘Hemingway, then 44, barrel-chested and full-bearded, was accredited as a Collier's correspondent but irreverently sported a British battle jacket instead of the ‘Eisenhower jacket’ that most of us correspondents wore.’
- ‘British bright royal scarlet was selected for the traditional battle jacket.’
- ‘Both troopers are wearing customized 1943 battle jackets and pants with reinforced cargo pockets.’
- ‘The Eisenhower jacket and the British battle jacket probably had a major impact on this fashion change.’
- ‘Camouflage nets and lilac bushes, for example, may frustrate prying eyes, but provide no better shields than buttons on battle jackets.’
- ‘The supply room collected blouses from the enlisted men and issued to them the new battle jackets.’
- ‘In 1978 the color guard wore red battle jackets with the McLeod kilt.’
- ‘The backs of many of these battle jackets that saw action over the skies of the European and Pacific theaters of the war were adorned with hand-painted emblems, maps, names and the occasional pinup queen.’
- ‘I was able to find my British issue battle jacket that I used to cover my feet at night for warmth.’
- ‘New green battle jackets were worn while Buchanan tartan remained the tartan of choice.’
- ‘It turns out many of them were going into London and having outfits similar to the R.A.F. battle jacket made up, a dark blue pants and jacket.’
- ‘In 1962, the Corps purchased new ‘battle jacket’ uniforms of maroon and white with gold highlights, with maroon pants with a white stripe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.