One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of waist-length jacket worn by army personnel.
- ‘Hemingway, then 44, barrel-chested and full-bearded, was accredited as a Collier's correspondent but irreverently sported a British battle jacket instead of the ‘Eisenhower jacket’ that most of us correspondents wore.’
- ‘The Eisenhower jacket and the British battle jacket probably had a major impact on this fashion change.’
- ‘Both troopers are wearing customized 1943 battle jackets and pants with reinforced cargo pockets.’
- ‘The backs of many of these battle jackets that saw action over the skies of the European and Pacific theaters of the war were adorned with hand-painted emblems, maps, names and the occasional pinup queen.’
- ‘British bright royal scarlet was selected for the traditional battle jacket.’
- ‘New green battle jackets were worn while Buchanan tartan remained the tartan of choice.’
- ‘Offstage, we were limited to wearing officer's uniforms comprised of battle jackets, skirts and caps.’
- ‘It turns out many of them were going into London and having outfits similar to the R.A.F. battle jacket made up, a dark blue pants and jacket.’
- ‘The supply room collected blouses from the enlisted men and issued to them the new battle jackets.’
- ‘In 1962, the Corps purchased new ‘battle jacket’ uniforms of maroon and white with gold highlights, with maroon pants with a white stripe.’
- ‘The above photo is a unique casual portrait of him wearing a battle jacket that has the 85th ‘CD’ patch.’
- ‘I was able to find my British issue battle jacket that I used to cover my feet at night for warmth.’
- ‘General Hall also proposed a duty uniform with a short battle jacket and a dress outfit with a single- or double-breasted blouse.’
- ‘In 1978 the color guard wore red battle jackets with the McLeod kilt.’
- ‘Camouflage nets and lilac bushes, for example, may frustrate prying eyes, but provide no better shields than buttons on battle jackets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.