Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The order in which batters take their turn at bat.
- ‘The batting order has not been established with any degree of certainty; with many players unsure of what role to perform.’
- ‘With four hitters in the lineup like the ones you mention, it wouldn't matter much where the manager placed them in the batting order.’
- ‘We've also shifted the batting order around a bit and everyone's understood their roles, responsibilities and made a few sacrifices.’
- ‘When the Rockies traded outfielder Juan Pierre, they created a void atop the batting order.’
- ‘The batting order definitely needs to be altered.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.