Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Powered by means of a battery.‘emergency equipment such as battery-operated radios’
electric-powered, powered by electricity, electrically operated, electrically powered, mains-operated, battery-operated, electrically chargedView synonyms
- ‘The brush may be electric, battery-operated or manual.’
- ‘The two-hour secret operation involved having a small battery-operated pacemaker implanted to keep his heart beat regular.’
- ‘Even the most basic of barbecues can be fitted with a small spit and battery-operated motor.’
- ‘In the latest crackdown on motorised and battery-operated scooters, Swindon police are taking a zero tolerance approach to people using the machines.’
- ‘Customers can bring their battery-operated laptops and access the internet via high-frequency radio signals.’
- ‘Battery-operated radios and cassette players provide musical entertainment for many people.’
- ‘This annual event sees local school children assemble and race battery-operated kit cars.’
- ‘For now, the robot is tethered to a power supply, but eventually it will be battery-operated and directed by remote control.’
- ‘She advises me to purchase a flashlight with batteries and a battery-operated radio.’
- ‘You can get a portable, battery-operated DVD player for as little as $200 - and take it on airplanes as well as in the car.’
- ‘Battery-operated, it is designed to repel slugs and snails, without harming them, by sending a low electrical current through a conductive tape.’
- ‘"Leave the watches, cell phones, and battery-operated gizmos at home," advises Greg.’
- ‘The battery-operated device is housed in a waterproof enclosure, allowing disinfection after use.’
- ‘The surgeon implants four electrodes in the brain, then runs a wire under the skin to a battery-operated generator in the chest.’
- ‘Manufacturers can easily incorporate the chip into any portable, battery-operated gadget.’
- ‘A small battery-operated or crank radio is another must-have in your emergency kit.’
- ‘These battery-operated devices detect movements that can easily be used to trigger a camera.’
- ‘The glass and chrome scales are battery-operated and the weight comes up on a digital display.’
- ‘The battery-operated units, though easy to install, often are not sophisticated enough to satisfy all your needs.’
- ‘Except for the jeeps, battery-operated vans and the tractor carrying workers from one place to the other, the zoo is deserted.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.