One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player, especially in baseball and cricket, who is batting or whose chief skill is in batting.
- ‘I have been working hard on my batting and I want to contribute not just as a bowler but also as a batsman.’
- ‘The batsmen are set for a less stressful few weeks, with Ponting encouraging them to put their feet up.’
- ‘The Indians should target the first four batsmen and keep the pressure on the rest of the batting.’
- ‘The lack of patience from their batsmen has often been the bane of Bangladesh's cricket team.’
- ‘On his day Brad is unquestionably one of the most attractive batsmen in Australian cricket.’
- ‘I had plenty of faith in my bowlers to get the batsmen out without sledging them.’
- ‘Both are batsmen of skill and determination, and their reputations are at stake.’
- ‘It's the first time a batsman has outscored the opposition in each innings of a match.’
- ‘Inzy is a fine slip fielder and a substantial batsman, one of the world's best.’
- ‘It was only at club and county level in England that he improved on his batting and became the batsman that he is today.’
- ‘I used to rely on watching good batsmen and try and mould myself accordingly.’
- ‘It would be extremely unfair to start messing around with the batsmen after one game.’
- ‘Over the last three years he's pretty much been the leading batsman in world cricket.’
- ‘We got a lot out of that game as far as batsmen getting time in the middle and the bowlers having a good work-out.’
- ‘As a batsman or bowler any player has to accomplish certain things to be in the team.’
- ‘What is good for cricket is that great bowlers should be allowed to bowl to great batsmen.’
- ‘He swings the ball enough to trouble batsmen, but not enough to be a force when the pitch is slow and the ball is holding up.’
- ‘But the vote goes to Andy Flower, the best batsman of the lot and a fine wicketkeeper.’
- ‘He's not going to get wickets against the Aussie batsmen and he's not going to make any runs.’
- ‘If you bowl outside the line, most batsmen, once they've picked the line, are not going to play.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.