(of fish and other organisms) inhabiting the deep sea where the environment is dark and cold, approximately 3,300–9,800 feet (1,000–3,000 m) below the surface.
- ‘The behaviour of bathypelagic perch fry (BPF) was monitored during 21 May, 24 June, 8 August and 5 September 1996 along the longitudinal profile of Øímov reservoir (Czech Republic), using acoustic methods.’
- ‘Multicuspidate radular teeth are most prominent in nude incirrate octopods of the bathypelagic Bolitaenidae.’
- ‘The eggs are bathypelagic, which means that they are free floating, but at depth.’
- ‘Several bathypelagic fish species, whose occurrence has hitherto not been recorded in the Adriatic, were found among the catches.’
- ‘The upper reaches of the deep ocean contain many bathypelagic fishes with a capacious, gas-filled swimbladder.’