Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of fish and other organisms) inhabiting the deep sea where the environment is dark and cold, approximately 3,300–9,800 feet (1,000–3,000 m) below the surface.
- ‘The behaviour of bathypelagic perch fry (BPF) was monitored during 21 May, 24 June, 8 August and 5 September 1996 along the longitudinal profile of Øímov reservoir (Czech Republic), using acoustic methods.’
- ‘Multicuspidate radular teeth are most prominent in nude incirrate octopods of the bathypelagic Bolitaenidae.’
- ‘The eggs are bathypelagic, which means that they are free floating, but at depth.’
- ‘Several bathypelagic fish species, whose occurrence has hitherto not been recorded in the Adriatic, were found among the catches.’
- ‘The upper reaches of the deep ocean contain many bathypelagic fishes with a capacious, gas-filled swimbladder.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.