One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument used to measure the depth of water in oceans, seas, or lakes.
- ‘Submersibles were equipped with special devices called bathymeters for taking water samples from the ocean bed.’
- ‘Canadian industry is a leader in airborne laser bathymeters.’
- ‘He helped to build, test, and use airborne remote sensing instruments including a multichannel ocean color sensor, a laser oil fluorosensor, and a laser bathymeter.’
- ‘Samples were collected in 10-liter plastic bathymeters at horizons of 0, 5, 10, 20, 30, 50m. Samples from each horizon were poured into two transparent and two dark 250 ml bottles with the addition of 1 ml NaHCO 3 of 2 microcurie activity.’
- ‘Not until the late 1990s, when the National Science Foundation equipped nuclear submarines with swath bathymeters, was it possible to map the floor of the Arctic Ocean beneath the ice to any significant degree for research purposes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.