One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine sponge of warm waters, the fibrous skeleton of which is used as a sponge for washing.
Genera Spongia and Hippospongia, family Spongiidae
- ‘Krystal ran her bath sponge over her body and started to sing along.’
- ‘What you do is take a large bath sponge and securely fasten a stout piece of cord to it.’
- ‘Sponges are everywhere: the Greek bath sponge, so dark we see them only when up close, and the verongia, golden-coloured sponges that grow to no more than 20 cm and are heavily concentrated on the rocky walls.’
- ‘The Australian Institute of Marine Science has discovered more than 30 species of bath sponges in Torres Strait waters and is working to break into the lucrative global market.’
- ‘In other words, it was like a bath sponge which lets air or water pass from cell to cell.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.