Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A computer file containing a list of instructions to be carried out in turn.
- ‘A techie friend of mine suggested that I write a simple batch file [program] so that my swap file is deleted every time I reboot the computer.’
- ‘You could probably get away with a batch file that prints ‘system test passed’ for all I know.’
- ‘Likewise, we will see much less e-mail, nightly batch files, and weekly inventory updates, but more direct, synchronous communication between applications and between people.’
- ‘You should've run a batch file and let it run overnight.’
- ‘I quickly ran the batch file so the screen was up.’
- ‘I wrote a batch file to automate the process and shaved it down to 7 1/2 minutes.’
- ‘If you need to update existing resources, or add new ones for several hundred files, you are more than likely going to want some way to implement this with a batch file.’
- ‘Codling explains that prior to the changeover, the company had an antiquated Cobol-based mainframe with a batch file exchange architecture.’
- ‘To make life easier, a set of batch files (shell scripts) are provided so that you don't need to remember and type in all these parameters.’
- ‘Specifically, we are going to configure Samba to validate users and run our login batch file, provide file and print shares, and provide network-browsing services.’
- ‘In other words, you push one button or double-click one batch file, the tests begin, and you can go get lunch.’
- ‘If you want to make life really easy, just copy the following lines and paste them into a batch file, editing parameters as you see fit.’
- ‘I found that the start menu contained a batch file called runme.bat AND a shortcut that pointed to the runme.bat file.’
- ‘Regularly clean out your cookie and temp folders (I have a batch file that does this every time I boot).’
- ‘Users first discovered it last spring, and even patched together a crude batch file which killed and restarted the ink-continent digitizer process.’
- ‘Once that's done, right click the newly created batch file and choose edit.’
- ‘Another fix users have cobbled together is batch file which kills and restarts the tabtip.exe process.’
- ‘Computer-based responses can include running applications, batch files or scripts or blocking ports.’
- ‘Allow your suppliers to download this information, using EDI, XML, batch files, or whatever, so your suppliers can have that information immediately.’
- ‘To make things simple, I have created batch files for the last five steps to facilitate the execution of these commands.’
batch file/ˈbaCH ˌfīl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.