One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boy who is employed to look after and retrieve bats during a baseball game and as a general assistant at other times.
- ‘Some guys open up so much, the batboy can tell when a breaking ball is coming.’
- ‘On June 2, 1973, I was the honorary batboy at a Pittsburgh Pirates game.’
- ‘Gibson Jr. became interested in a career in professional baseball while serving as a batboy for one of his father's teams, the Pittsburgh Crawfords.’
- ‘Sunday's pilot introduces a Staten Island teenager named Pete Young, who has just succeeded in getting a job as batboy for the New York Empires.’
- ‘‘Yeah,’ Moe said, ‘I was his batboy in Atlanta, in the Southern Association.’’
- ‘I'm pretty sure the Cardinals even have better batboys.’
- ‘To me, there should be only one rule for prospective batboys: that they are old enough to know when to run and fetch the bat and when they might be in danger of being pancaked in a home plate collision.’
- ‘He had been a batboy for the Birmingham Barons and played semi-pro ball in his youth.’
- ‘We sold baseballs and made baseballs, and I was the batboy.’
- ‘Jeremy Sumpter, who played the title role in last year's feature film ‘Peter Pan, ‘is the batboy, Pete Young.’’
- ‘And I've heard how people say they thought he was the batboy.’
- ‘When Reyes strides to the plate, odds are the at-bat won't end with him handing his stick to the batboy and jogging to first base.’
- ‘Because of Darren's innocent actions, major league baseball implemented an age requirement of 14 for batboys.’
- ‘Marc Donato portrays a New York teenager who becomes a batboy for the Yankees.’
- ‘The Astros and Cardinals know each other's lineups, relievers, managers and batboys.’
- ‘In 1987, Lance was a batboy and celebrated on the field with his dad, whose Twins had just won the World Series.’
- ‘As a kid, I was a batboy for the local semipro ball team he played for in Dallas.’
- ‘A 16-year-old boy comes of age when he becomes a batboy for a fictional baseball team.’
- ‘Prilaman, who joined the Padres as a batboy in 1971, has been taking care of the team's gear for 20 years.’
- ‘Despite his deep self-confidence, Malik's brothers were concerned the week that he was going to be batboy for the Chicago Cubs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.