One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boy who is employed to look after and retrieve bats during a baseball game and as a general assistant at other times.
- ‘Gibson Jr. became interested in a career in professional baseball while serving as a batboy for one of his father's teams, the Pittsburgh Crawfords.’
- ‘Despite his deep self-confidence, Malik's brothers were concerned the week that he was going to be batboy for the Chicago Cubs.’
- ‘Some guys open up so much, the batboy can tell when a breaking ball is coming.’
- ‘Prilaman, who joined the Padres as a batboy in 1971, has been taking care of the team's gear for 20 years.’
- ‘Marc Donato portrays a New York teenager who becomes a batboy for the Yankees.’
- ‘When Reyes strides to the plate, odds are the at-bat won't end with him handing his stick to the batboy and jogging to first base.’
- ‘And I've heard how people say they thought he was the batboy.’
- ‘Sunday's pilot introduces a Staten Island teenager named Pete Young, who has just succeeded in getting a job as batboy for the New York Empires.’
- ‘Jeremy Sumpter, who played the title role in last year's feature film ‘Peter Pan, ‘is the batboy, Pete Young.’’
- ‘A 16-year-old boy comes of age when he becomes a batboy for a fictional baseball team.’
- ‘In 1987, Lance was a batboy and celebrated on the field with his dad, whose Twins had just won the World Series.’
- ‘On June 2, 1973, I was the honorary batboy at a Pittsburgh Pirates game.’
- ‘Because of Darren's innocent actions, major league baseball implemented an age requirement of 14 for batboys.’
- ‘As a kid, I was a batboy for the local semipro ball team he played for in Dallas.’
- ‘The Astros and Cardinals know each other's lineups, relievers, managers and batboys.’
- ‘He had been a batboy for the Birmingham Barons and played semi-pro ball in his youth.’
- ‘To me, there should be only one rule for prospective batboys: that they are old enough to know when to run and fetch the bat and when they might be in danger of being pancaked in a home plate collision.’
- ‘‘Yeah,’ Moe said, ‘I was his batboy in Atlanta, in the Southern Association.’’
- ‘We sold baseballs and made baseballs, and I was the batboy.’
- ‘I'm pretty sure the Cardinals even have better batboys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.