One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people of northern Sumatra.
- ‘Thus today the Batak of Sumatra, the Dayak of Kalimantan, the Toraja and Menadonese of Sulawesi, and the Ambonese of Maluku are Protestant; the peoples of Flores and the Tetun of West Timor are Catholic.’
- ‘The 216 million people comprise 365 ethnic and tribal groups, the principle ones being the Acehnese, Bataks, Minangkabaus (on Sumatra); Javanese, Sundanese (Java); Balinese (Bali); Sasaks (Lombok); and Dani.’
- ‘This practice stopped with Christianization, but in recent decades, prosperous urban Batak have built large stone sarcophagi in their home villages to honor the dead and re-establish a connection otherwise severed by migration.’
- ‘Simanjuntak said that his fellow Batak consider his works, which he sets at an average of Rp 5 million, too expensive.’
- ‘The Supreme Court's decision became jurisprudence and was used in similar cases, not only among the Bataks but also other ethnic groups.’
2The Indonesian language of the Batak.
- ‘In their daily lives, and even at home, they dont speak Batak languages anymore, Togar said.’
- ‘If I could speak Batak I would certainly be singing along to all the songs.’
- ‘My wife, who learned to speak Batak in the village, acquired the manner of shouting and the gestures characteristic of village women.’
Relating to the Batak or their language.
- ‘People who know his background will jokingly ask whether he is Chinese or Batak.’
- ‘‘We should first love our culture and show our hospitality to others, as hospitality and politeness are two of the main values in Batak culture,’ he said.’
- ‘One factor that distinguishes this case from the others is the Batak cultural tradition, which binds the people.’
- ‘If, for instance, you are to attend a traditional Batak wedding ceremony, in Medan, North Sumatra, you will likely be served dog meat at some point in the proceedings.’
- ‘The music blends pop and the traditional music of his Batak heritage in North Sumatra.’
The name in Batak.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.