One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Impure or low-grade cocaine, especially when mixed with coca paste and tobacco and marijuana.
- ‘The air in the main street is full of the smell of basuco.’
- ‘The basuco was sold for a low price and it rapidly became even more popular than marijuana in a lot of cities.’
- ‘Cocaine sulfate is also available as coca paste known as basuco, bazooka, piticin, pistol, pitillos, or tocos and is widely smoked in South America.’
- ‘There is increasing addiction and death from basuco.’
- ‘We also wrote down operational details of outreach teams currently working with basuco users.’
1980s: from Colombian Spanish; perhaps related to Spanish bazucar ‘shake violently’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.