Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who plays a double bass or bass guitar.
- ‘He's backed by an unintrusive bassist and percussion trio, doing his thing, and it's magic.’
- ‘But the Music Department had a rule that bassists (meaning string and electric) had to play tuba as well.’
- ‘While bassist and drummer are resigned to lucrative obscurity, the lead guitarist is almost famous.’
- ‘Some really great crunchy pop tunes here with some head-bop inducing bouncy basslines delivered by one of the cutest female bassists I've seen in a while.’
- ‘Both the bassist and drummer come from musical backgrounds of hardcore and punk.’
- ‘Bearded and flanked by a double bassist and a drummer he looks every inch the troubled, acoustic troubadour.’
- ‘Bands of that era also featured great pianists, bassists, trumpeters, flautists, violinists, and occasional saxophonists.’
- ‘The leaders of these two loving, live-quintet tributes are both bassists.’
- ‘They'd be well advised to acquire at least a bassist and drummer before they show their faces round here again.’
- ‘The bassist's fingers at times became a blur as she plucked away at the strings like a madwoman.’
- ‘The band have been though a few changes over the last year or so, first losing their bassist & then their drummer.’
- ‘And he has built up a ‘formidable reputation as one of the most dependable versatile, lyrical bassists of the European continent’.’
- ‘Riffs are what happens when you leave the rhythm guitarist and the bassist alone in the studio for a couple of hours.’
- ‘The band are now older, and on their third bassist, and the sound is not the same as it was.’
- ‘They went through five drummers, six bassists, four keyboard players, four lead vocalists, but only one lead guitarist, quite an achievement.’
- ‘You simply can't play if the bassist and the drummer aren't talking.’
- ‘He had been due to catch a flight that morning to a musicians' camp for bassists in the US.’
- ‘Their songs were good, but I thought that the guitarist did a better job at singing than the bassist did.’
- ‘The bassists we have lined up include Chicago Symphony and Lyric Opera Orchestra members and excellent free-lance Jazz musicians so this should be a very exciting project.’
- ‘The bassist and drummer share lead vocal duties and both have good vocal abilities.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.