One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who plays a double bass or bass guitar.
- ‘Riffs are what happens when you leave the rhythm guitarist and the bassist alone in the studio for a couple of hours.’
- ‘They went through five drummers, six bassists, four keyboard players, four lead vocalists, but only one lead guitarist, quite an achievement.’
- ‘The band are now older, and on their third bassist, and the sound is not the same as it was.’
- ‘While bassist and drummer are resigned to lucrative obscurity, the lead guitarist is almost famous.’
- ‘The bassist and drummer share lead vocal duties and both have good vocal abilities.’
- ‘You simply can't play if the bassist and the drummer aren't talking.’
- ‘Some really great crunchy pop tunes here with some head-bop inducing bouncy basslines delivered by one of the cutest female bassists I've seen in a while.’
- ‘But the Music Department had a rule that bassists (meaning string and electric) had to play tuba as well.’
- ‘He's backed by an unintrusive bassist and percussion trio, doing his thing, and it's magic.’
- ‘He had been due to catch a flight that morning to a musicians' camp for bassists in the US.’
- ‘Bearded and flanked by a double bassist and a drummer he looks every inch the troubled, acoustic troubadour.’
- ‘The band have been though a few changes over the last year or so, first losing their bassist & then their drummer.’
- ‘The bassists we have lined up include Chicago Symphony and Lyric Opera Orchestra members and excellent free-lance Jazz musicians so this should be a very exciting project.’
- ‘The bassist's fingers at times became a blur as she plucked away at the strings like a madwoman.’
- ‘And he has built up a ‘formidable reputation as one of the most dependable versatile, lyrical bassists of the European continent’.’
- ‘Their songs were good, but I thought that the guitarist did a better job at singing than the bassist did.’
- ‘The leaders of these two loving, live-quintet tributes are both bassists.’
- ‘Bands of that era also featured great pianists, bassists, trumpeters, flautists, violinists, and occasional saxophonists.’
- ‘Both the bassist and drummer come from musical backgrounds of hardcore and punk.’
- ‘They'd be well advised to acquire at least a bassist and drummer before they show their faces round here again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.