Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A kind of long-grain Indian rice of a high quality.
- ‘Add exotic flavor to meals without extra effort by using naturally aromatic rices, such as basmati and Texmati.’
- ‘Enjoy the rice, be it basmati, jasmine or arborio.’
- ‘Recently he announced that he might eat brown rice if I can find brown basmati, a surprise after earlier resistance to the hardy grain.’
- ‘To go with that there was steamed brown basmati rice, which is more interesting than steamed white basmati rice.’
- ‘To go with the exotic fare were brinji rice, vegetable noodles, Mexican rice, steamed basmati rice, curd rice, pappads and pickles.’
- ‘I chose lightly spiced spinach and chickpea potato cake served with basmati rice, mint yoghurt and mango chutney.’
- ‘Use sweet potato instead of white potato, wholegrain bread instead of bread without lumps, basmati or doongara styles of rice instead of other white & brown rices.’
- ‘Pasta and boiled new potatoes, or basmati rice in Indian restaurants, are realistic low- and medium-carbohydrate options.’
- ‘Pakistan also produces some of the finest rice in the world, basmati, which is the preferred rice for preparing their special rice dishes such as biriani and pilaf.’
- ‘The burrito was made with an organic enzyme tortilla and contained organic basmati rice, spinach, peanut-tomato mousse, white kidney beans, eggs and cheese.’
- ‘While he's at it, he might also want to cut the salt content of the white-bean soup in half and toss out the dull sea scallops with the curried apples, almonds, and basmati rice.’
- ‘Aromatic rices such as basmati from Pakistan, Nepal, and India and sadri from Iran have a distinctive popcorn-like aroma and are highly prized for their quality.’
- ‘White rice makes great rice puddings and basmati rice makes wonderful flavoured rice dishes.’
- ‘Brown basmati rice and dark red kidney beans combine with fresh fruits and vegetables in this colorful main-dish salad.’
- ‘Meanwhile, begin preparing basmati rice, adding raisins and walnuts last, then five minutes of steaming.’
- ‘Though a little disappointed her rice wasn't basmati rice, she was pleased with the crispy onions and the overall lack of greasiness.’
- ‘Eat 3 cups of basmati rice or 4 cups of any other rice weekly.’
- ‘So I could have thrown out the leftover basmati rice that we had in the fridge, but decided instead to make little rice cakes, mixing the rice with an egg and what vegetables I had on hand, and cooking the patties in the skillet.’
- ‘Ensure you have the correct rice for your recipe: pudding rice will not make a good risotto and basmati will not make a good paella.’
- ‘I add white wine, some onions and fennel, and then serve it whole on a long dish with mayonnaise, slices of lemon and basmati rice.’
From Hindi bāsmatī, literally fragrant.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.